Monday, May 26, 2008

A couple weekends ago we also had the opportunity to go to a Brigade Ball for Josh's Brigade. We got to get all dressed up and went to the Sheraton Resort for a nice three course meal and a nice presentation with all night dancing to follow. They had a nice tribute to the fallen soldiers of their last deployment to Iraq. It was very touching, special and a little bit of an eye opener, (I guess you could call it). It was just a lot more personal to see those who are in Josh's same unit who lost their lives and knowing that he will be leaving at the beginning of this coming year.
We really enjoyed ourselves and had fun getting to know the people in his company better. We had the opportunity to sit at the head table with his Company Commander and the First Sergeant. And I apologize that we didn't get any pictures of this event or of us dressed up but we weren't exactly sure how these Balls work and there were a lot of important people there so we just played it safe and cool (if you know what i mean, i know Sara does!!)

(Just for you Sara, we got to toast "To the ARMY", To the President", To the Spartans", "To the United States," and there is a new one that I haven't gotten used to but I like it.... First the soldiers sit their wives and then all the guys toast, "To the LADIES" its awesome!!)

Josh lately has found out more information about his up coming deployment. As of right now he will be going to Northern Afghanistan. Unlike his companies last deployment, Josh and his platoon will be separated from the rest of his company providing communication assets to different units than the other platoon in the company. In lamest terms this puts a lot more responsibility on Josh and enables him to have a greater role in being a platoon leader and taking control of his area and soldiers. I know that he is ready for this challenge and has shown what a great leader he is and will be with running his platoon.

5 comments:

KOCHERHANS said...

Wow I feel like putting my hand on my heart and singing Proud to Be an American after reading this. That was beautiful. I've never heard the whole toast thing, but heck yes...Toast to the Ladies!! Right on. And....good thing I'm not an army wife...I don't appreciate the "playing it safe" thing.....I want to see pictures. Bring on the camera! Were they at your house before you left too? Or out in the parking lot after the event.....that's pretty intense. Ok...I'm totally kidding. I'm glad you had fun and what awesome things you guys get to experience......things I will never understand or get to be a part of and that's really neat. Good job Leiutenant (I don't think I spelled that right). You will be an awesome Platoon leader....keep them in line. We are so proud of you Josh. Love you both

Jenn Fort Haderlie said...

I totally started crying, theres A LOT I dont understand either, but I have such respect for those who serve our country! Im proud to say Im related to someone who serves! I love going to Sea World and right before the Shamu show they pay tribute to those who serve, I start crying everytime, Camille Campbell told a story on her blog about people who clap and shake hands to soldiers in the airport, how neat for people to be so thankful! Im proud of you Josh, your a great example for everyone, Im grateful for those who are willing to serve for my family and the freedoms we have in our country! We love you!

KOCHERHANS said...

Jennifer, you totally should ask Brittany all about Josh and what he does. She explains it really well and it sounds cool to hear about all of it. I asked the other day and got the lo down. Josh is IMPORTANTE is all I have to say.
P/S Brittany, I totally explained it to Ben too and I think I did a good job. He was impressed. And someone else asked me the other day on the phone and I explained it, but I can't remember who it was now. i love it
How's your platoon today Josh?

KOCHERHANS said...

Oh I remember now - it was Margie that asked.
And yes, I'm looking at your blog again today.....don't make fun of me.

brittany said...

i am so proud of you tara for being able to explain that to anyone who asks. i only wish i could hear what you say!! ha ha just kidding. im sure you do a good job. Thanks for letting everyone know what it is that josh does over here. i realize that a lot of people really dont know or understand what josh is or does for work. thanks for always asking and being interested.